Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Nesting and painting

Hello everyone
I had a rare weekend without a wedding so I took a few days off just just to putter around my house and try to relax a bit.  I feel like I have been on a continuous wild ride since March!  I have been doing better I guess.  Up days and down.  The downs are not quite as low which is good.  Having such a beautiful home that is so nurturing helps.  I can't believe it has been four months already since I moved in!  Time is strange for me right now.  Sometimes it seems to crawl along and then there are times when it just shoots past!  In those rare quiet times I have been trying to rediscover some of the things I used to enjoy doing... like painting.  So today I thought I would show you a few pictures of my home and a couple of the paintings I have been working on.
This first picture is of my front porch.  My front door opens directly onto this area.  It is where I meet clients, have my portfolio and a few samples of my props.

This is a cabinet on the porch with some of my containers and bits and bobs I use for weddings.
some details
The light is perfect for ferns and other house plants.
I also have set up my easel and all my painting supplies here.  
I have been spending some time lately painting.
One particular day I was so down and so utterly sick of being down that I just didn't know what to do with myself.  I was actually somewhat frantic, thus launched my first painting.  It was all I could think of to do.
I kind of lost myself in the process of painting, it was wonderful.  It feels like time sort of suspended for a while.
One of my favorite painters of all time is Susan Seddon Boulet.  I tried to work within a similar style.
Here is another painting that I haven't quite finished yet.
Sorry about the quality of the picture.  Shadows from the window panes of the porch are on the painting.  When I finish it I will take better pictures and show you.
I am so grateful to be painting again.  I actually haven't done it that much.  In college I had a wonderful class with a local painter by the name of Robert Frame.  He got me started and I discovered I loved it.  Life gets so busy that I really didn't paint much since then.  I have probably done 10 paintings in about 25 years!  So glad to be back.  No more long breaks!

When you walk from the front porch into the house this is what you see, my living room.
My couch is an old grain bin that was rotting in a building on a neighboring ranch.
Mike took the front of it off and I had a cushion made for it.  It is so comfortable and fun.  Mike didn't want it so I happily took it.  It took six men everything they had to grunt and groan in into the house!  It wouldn't even fit through the front door with out cutting the legs off it.  Once inside we put it back together.  Worth all the effort but then I wasn't carrying it!
Below are some of my vintage Indian saris with a children's top from Afghanistan and the Green Man's mask from my Faerie wedding shoot.
A collage of pictures.  The faerie/woodsy lady is a copy I drew of one of Brian Froud's art pieces.  

This is looking back towards the front porch.  I love how there is a window with in the house that looks into another room (the porch).

Some details.





Isn't Mr Wolf a lovely old puppet?  I found him in a thrift store along with the three pigs and a stage with back drops and props!  It was quite a find!

Below is an Afghanistan wedding dress.


Below is collection of Indian pots and other Native American art on my fireplace mantle.


Into the kitchen.  Below is my kitchen table with one of my Steam Punk wedding props on the wall (the clock).
The three little pigs that came with the Mr Wolf puppet.
One of the piggies.  I thought it was appropriate to put them in the kitchen!

My built in china cabinet.
My old work space had a ton of storage which is where I kept a lot of my wedding props.  The work space I am building at this house is very small so I have moved a bunch of props into the house as this house is much larger that the old one.  There is enough cabinet space in the kitchen to house all of my dishes.  I have a vintage china collection that I can feed up to 250 people on.  I have used them in several weddings.
Some of my china.



My tea collection.  I am a nut for tea!
Below are the wings of the bride from the Faerie wedding shoot.

I have my wings in every room.

Below is going from the kitchen to the back porch area heading towards my room.  This cabinet has some of my Mom's Mexican Trees of Life on top.  I definitely come by my love of collecting naturally!

Again, the back porch.

Looking from the back porch towards the kitchen and the living room beyond.
Now turning to the left and heading into my bedroom.

It's definitely all girl : )
Below are some of my Magnolia Pearl bags.  I got them long ago before she was really discovered and they were a bit more affordable.  I got one from her and the rest on Ebay from someone who was selling some of her personal pieces (I know...  gasp!!!)

Like I said...  wings everywhere.

Details.


Below are some baubles from Mom.  She loved bling too.

This is where I spend a lot of my time.  Even though I have an office I just love sitting in this chair with the view and a kitty curled up on my legs.  It makes paper work a bit more tolerable.



I hung all my hats up, some are part of the costumes that I rent.  Now I can see everything!



The view from my bed.  This is what I wake up to!

More wings.

My bathroom.


Going back to the back porch and looking out towards the deck.


I know you are all probably on overload so I will show you the deck, my office and guest room later, as well as the outside.  There was no garden here when I moved in so I have been digging and planting away.  It is coming along beautifully, especially with all the hot weather we've been having.
You have all probably lost your sympathy for me having seen my beautiful home.  I do feel so lucky to have such a lovely cocoon.  It is way nicer than anything I have ever had before.  I will tell you though that as lovely as it is and as big as it is I still feel a gaping hole.  The feeling of someone missing is huge.  Sometimes I still feel like this is someone else's life.  The good news is that those times are less and less.  I love my home and I am starting to live in a few more rooms now, like the front porch where I do my painting.  Little by little...

Blessings to all of you
Tricia




































20 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia, it's really good to hear that life is treating you nicely. I'm so happy you're loving your new home....and what a gorgeous home it is!! It's hard to believe you've only been there a few months. Just proves that home is truly where your heart and your art is. Thanks for sharing all this loveliness. Love your owl and big kitty cat paintings :) hugs, Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your owl painting----and your eclectic style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With your love of wings, I thought you'd enjoy this poem called "Starlings in Winter" by Mary Oliver (Isn't the painting gorgeous?!) -- especially the last stanza.

    http://www.panhala.net/Archive/Starlings_in_Winter.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. jealous I am!!! LOL Your place is GORGEOUS!!!!! I love that sofa... what a great idea that was!! Everything is so bohemian cottagey!!! I am glad your feeling better & you have a wonderful place to heal..:) It does take time tho...returning to your painting was brilliant... positive focus...I love the Owl...I want to take a pottery class this year...it is always good to tap in to that creative side especially when things are low...this will help... Thanks for sharing your beautiful space Tricia...

    ((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Loved taking the Tour of your new Home my Friend! And you did the same thing I did with the MP Bag Collection... I began getting mine years and years ago before her Creative Genius was as well known. They are among my most Beloved Collections in fact and her Vintage pieces are mostly Velvet and Vintage Fabrics which is what I Love best. Your Home is as Lovely as you are and Decorated with Eclectic Found Treasures just like mine... are you sure we're not Twins separated at Birth? *Winks*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweet girl... I'm so glad you are getting better at being whole again. NO ONE PERSON CAN COMPLETE YOU!!! YOU ARE YOU! And I know you are wonderful as I've had the pleasure of meeting you in person & KNOW you are such a kind, sweet, good soul. Heal, give yourself time. There can be another person to share life with but, YOU make the life you want. Just look at all the wonder you have/continue to create. HUGS! Charlene, Elle & Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is so beautiful! I love your style and all your collections! The paintings that you are working on are so gorgeous! I just love that owl!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and inspiring. Love the paintings as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lush, layered and lovely. I don't even know where to start, so I'll first say so happy you are feathering your nest and finding your "muchness". I truly admire how you seemingly turn your closets and drawers inside-out...displaying all the finery for a stunning visual landscape (rather than tucking all that pretty out of sight). And is that a Folio Society Canterbury Tales I spy? Your paintings display the same extraordinary talent as you apply to everything you touch. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your home is purely delightful ... thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your paintings are alive, Tricia. Their eyes appear to have seen so much.
    I know you are going through a lot right now. At least, you can heal in a beautiful home that you are in now. I love seeing the images of your place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your home is just so eclectic and pretty I love it, you have such a personal style but I wish you could bottle it because it's so fabulous. I'm glad your starting to feel a little more settled and I hope the good days will soon outnumber the down ones. Take it easy, don't rush yourself, your a special person and life will keep you embraced until you are ready to stand strong again.

    That Owl painting is out of this world, from the moons to the face it speaks of all the mysteries.

    I've left you a blog award on my blog Witchery Grove if you would like it.
    http://witcherygrove.blogspot.co.uk/

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the tour again! It was even better in person! Listen here sista' if you ever feel that blue again, call me, I'm only a flight away and Nancy and I will get you silly on fruity drinks and make a dart board with "that man" on it and go to town! Whamo! I know that dark feeling and it quite frankly sucks!

    But on the bright side, you're painting! I'm impressed! I get down and blue and eat a gallon or two of Butterfinger ice cream! Like I said, call anytime, in this awful heat I am always home!! Miss your sweet face! xoxoxoxoxo-cin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tricia Thanks for stopping by for a Visit... I so enjoy Visiting in the Land of Blog, especially when Invited into someone's Home Virtually! Adoring seeing your Home and how Beautifully it's Styled! Yes... though I LOVE my Family and they're at the top of my List of Blessings & Priorities, there are times when I wonder how much less Work it would be to one day have a Home all to myself? *LOL* My Mom totally got used to it in her Senior years and her sentiments mirrored yours at to what she discovered about the Joys it could also hold. Nobody to clean up after, nothing to get broken or messed up, Silence and putting herself and her needs first for a change. She spent almost 40 years being a wonderful Mother & Wife, but I don't know that the rest of us fully appreciated all the Sacrifices she made and how she could be so utterly Content when she was finally Alone. *Winks* At this Season of Life, now I can. *Ha ha ha* Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear Tricia ~ thank you for letting us peep around you beautiful home, for sharing the loveliness of it all, it is so full of the very essence of you, i love every corner. Things can never make up for emptiness, and oh how i have know that in the past, but it is so good you have created a wonderful space where you can begin to heal & grow from strength to strength. Do keep painting, those are delicious works indeed, isn't it a healing process in itself, painting. sending hugs From bonnie scotland x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello darling girl, how beautifully your nest is fluffed & feathered now. I have called you about treasures, I owe you one! But I know this is your SEASON! And this year, nice to loose yourself in your work. Time keeps marching, and with it so heals the heart, so let it roll baby. I am going to try you on the phone again and hope the goddess is with me, I love you! Molina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Tricia... Thanks for stopping by with encouraging words and advice. The Salvation Army {which is my Church and handily right next door} helps with the G-Kid Force with their After School & Meals Program. And Prince R's Doctor sponsored the Family for Gym Membership {which has two hours of Child Care Daily for the Princess} so these are Tools I can use for brief Respites as needed. I think the most difficult part for me has been the fact that I'm sensitive to the Atmosphere and Energy around me so when it is Negative or Toxic I don't function well. I prefer a Zen Atmosphere with Positive Energy and People tapped into that too... so any fussing, fighting, depression of others and Neg Spirit has a way of polluting my own mood & Energies. I am careful of what I expose myself to outside of my own four walls, and strive to make the Home a Positive Place that has Calm, Peace and Positive Vibes... so I get frustrated if Family Members aren't on board for keeping Serenity a Goal. Alas, Children & Men don't always cooperate when it comes to my Eastern Philosphies and Practicing it alongside me... and it invites Melancholy into the Home. *Le Sigh* Hope that better explains the battleground I find myself warring against at times? I thought about getting in deep in my Blog Post but decided a good hearty rant would do just fine! *LOL* I Pray things are continuing to Be Well with you now too my Friend, I know you've been up against some stuff as well. At least we can come for Blog Visits and enjoy each other's Magnolia Pearl Bag Collections, huh? *Winks* Hugs from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello darling, I was thinking of you today...your home is a beautiful, nurturing space, sure to work it's medicine on you with time. Your paintings are truly divine, and how I would love to come sit with you on your porch, playing dress-ups and telling each other stories. You are endlessly inspiring to me, and I love coming here to visit...I would love to see some more photos of your gorgeous art and your beautiful home. Take care sweet sister x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, and Dawn must come sit with us too...kindreds indeed x

    ReplyDelete